Desert Mountain Elementary School
Desert Hills, Arizona
Watch a video showing what PBIS looks like in K-12 schools:
What is Mission H.A.W.K?
HAWK is our school way of preventing discipline problems. Our PBIS team is hard at work taking professional development training so that we can create the culture that we want for our school. Throughout this year, the PBIS Team will be asking students, staff, and our community for information and feedback. We want your input!
- One of the foremost advances in school-wide discipline is the emphasis on school-wide systems of support that include proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create positive school environments.
- Instead of using a piecemeal approach of individual behavioral management plans, a continuum of positive behavior support for all students within a school is implemented in areas including the classroom and nonclassroom settings (such as hallways, buses, and restrooms).
- Attention is focused on creating and sustaining primary (school-wide), secondary (classroom), and tertiary (individual) systems of support that improve lifestyle results (personal, health, social, family, work, recreation) for all children and youth by making targeted behaviors less effective, efficient, and relevant, and desired behavior more functional. -PBIS.org
What are the Outcomes of PBIS and HAWK Expectations?
- Decreased classroom disruptions and office discipline referrals
- Increased academic achievement and performance
- Improved school climate and safety
Why is PBIS and HAWK Expectations Needed Here?
Office Referral Data
Our student discipline data shows that quite a few students are being sent to the office for disruption and disrespect. When that happens, they are not learning and this also interferes with the learning of others. We need to help all or student to be successful academically and behaviorally.
When students struggle with reading – we teach. When students struggle with math or music – we teach. When students struggle with behavior – we need to teach them how to succeed.
Climate Surveys Data
____% of staff feel that bullying is a problem.
____% of student think that students are friendly to each other.
____% of parents reported that teachers work closely with parents to help students when they have a problem.
Here are some noteworthy quotes from our recent climate surveys:
Add quote. – staff
Add quote. – student
Add quote. – parent