Gateway Polytechnic Academy
Watch a video showing what PBIS looks like in K-12 schools:
What is Positive Behavior Intervention and Support?
PBIS is going to be our new way of providing a safe and positive learning environment at our school. Our PBIS team is hard at work taking professional development training so that we can create the culture that we want for our school. Throughout this year, the PBIS Team will be asking students, staff, and our community for information and feedback. We want your input!
- One of the foremost advances in school-wide culture is the emphasis on school-wide systems of support that include proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create positive school learning environments.
- Instead of using a piecemeal approach of individual behavioral management plans, a continuum of positive behavior support for all students within a school is implemented in areas including the classroom and nonclassroom settings (such as hallways, buses, and restrooms).
- Attention is focused on creating and sustaining primary (school-wide), secondary (classroom), and tertiary (individual) systems of support that improve lifestyle results (personal, health, social, family, work, recreation) for all children and youth by making targeted behaviors less effective, efficient, and relevant, and desired behavior more functional. -PBIS.org
What are the Outcomes of PBIS?
- Increased academic achievement and student performance
- Decreased classroom disruptions and office discipline referrals
- Improved school climate and safety
Why is PBIS Needed Here?
Office Referral Data
Our student discipline data shows that quite a few students are being sent to the office for disruption and disrespect. When that happens, they are not learning and it interferes with the learning of others. We need to help all our student to be successful academically and behaviorally.
When students struggle with reading – we teach. When students struggle with math or music – we teach. When students struggle with behavior – we need to teach them how to succeed.
Climate Surveys Data
We will be surveying staff, students and parents to ask about school climate, fairness and equity. Look here for the results.
Here are some testimonials from PBIS schools across the nation:
With PBIS, all students know the classroom expectations so I spend less time on disruptive behaviors and more time teaching and having fun with my great students. – staff
There is a lot less bullying and name calling now, students are caught being good and the rules are fair for everyone. – student
I’m very proud of my daughters school and her teachers; they are fair, consistent and the vibe is just positive in every classroom. I wish my older children attended a PBIS school too! – parent